Holy Family Cathedral
800 W. 5th Avenue
Anchorage, Alaska 99501
Adobe Reader required to read and
print all forms. Get it FREE HERE.
“Those who approach the sacrament of Penance obtain pardon from God’s mercy for the offense committed against him, and are, at the same time, reconciled with the Church which they have wounded by their sins and which by charity, by example, and by prayer labors for their conversion.” CCC 1422
Jesus came to offer mercy to sinners, and the Church, the Body of Christ, offers that same mercy. The priests offer confession Monday through Friday from 11:30 AM until they are done sometime around noon. Confession is also offered on Saturday in the morning from 8:30 AM until 9 AM and in the afternoon from 4 PM until 5 PM. You may call the office to set up appointments for confession as well.
If it has been a long time since you have been to confession here is a reminder about what to do and say:
1. Examine your conscience before entering the confessional. Our confessionals are located in the front of the church to the right.
2. Kneel behind the screen (the third door to your right down the hallway) OR sit facing the priest (the first door).
3. The priest says: “May the Lord be in your heart to help you make a good confession” or the priest says the sign of the cross or other words of grace and greeting
4. You say: “Bless me, Father, for I have sinned. It has been about ______(days/weeks/months/years) since my last Confession. These are my sins.” You now tell your sins.
5. The priest then gives you a penance, usually prayers to say or something to do.
6. The priest says: “And now say the Act of Contrition.” When you are behind the screen, you will see the Act of Contrition to your right on the wall. When you are face to face the priest will hand you a card, if you ask for one.
7. You say the Act of Contrition, and then the priest says the prayers of absolution. He then says something like this: “Your sins are forgiven; go in peace.”
8. You say: “Thank you, Father” or “Thanks be to God.”
9. You leave the confessional and say or do the penance the priest gave you as soon as possible.
Here are some good examinations of conscience:
© 2014 - HOLY FAMILY CATHEDRAL • Archdiocese of Anchorage
Parish Office Address: 811 W. 6th Ave • Anchorage, Alaska 99501
Hours: Monday - Friday, 9:00 am - 5:00 pm (closed 12:00- 1:00 pm)